Using a gin or pulley wheel is a low-cost and convenient way of raising or lowering a load. However, these are some risks associated with using gin or pulley wheels:
• A hoisting rope that does not have a proper safety hook or knots at the end.
• A hoisting rope that is worn and needs to be removed from service.
• A load that exceeds the weight capacity of the components or the ability of workers to lift it.
• A load is not secured properly.
• A bucket or load that strikes the scaffold or building, causing the load to tip and fall.